Landgrave castle Melsungen
The landgrave castle of Melsung was built from 1550 to 1557 as a hunting lodge for Landgrave Philipp the Magnanimous. It served as the seat of Landgrave Moritz the Scholar from 1627 to 1632. The castle was thereafter a garrison of the Elector's Horseman, and in the last century the Hessian Forest Academy was accommodated in the complex. Today the castle serves as the administrative office of the district court and the tax office.
Especially worth seeing is the Palace Garden with its old stock of trees, the castle pond and parts of the old town wall.
No sightseeing in the castle is possible
The Palace Garden is freely accessible
In the summer, the Palace Garden is converted into a beer garden with a cultural and music programme for several weeks.